Chapter OneLetting Go
A defining moment often happens when a person comes face-to-face
with a truth about life he's never confronted before. But if we're honest,
most of our defining moments happen with truths we've simply been
ignoring for a long, long time.
In fact, one of the main reasons people dismiss God's truth is that
it's simply too painful or inconvenient to acknowledge it. We have our
own way of doing things. And while truth may be true, it's often too
disrupting to incorporate into our lives. So we shove it aside in favor of
what's familiar and comfortable. In effect, we choose to live with a distortion
rather than embrace the truth.
But the problem is that for every distortion about God, there is a
corresponding consequence. And no matter how uncomfortable truth
may seem, it's nothing like the discomfort we experience when the consequences
begin to mount up. In the Bible, as people embraced the
truths Jesus taught, their lives were transformed. And in this session,
we'll examine how letting go of what's familiar can be the first step to
experiencing a defining moment with truth in your life.
In Your Dreams
Right or wrong, we all have a picture of what we want God to be like.
For each of the following areas of life, describe how you wish God
would orchestrate things:
* In your finances:
* In your career:
* In your relationships:
From the video message, fill in the blanks:
1. Everyone has a picture of what they want
___________________ to be like.
2. With every distortion of truth about God, there is a corresponding
3. One of the reasons Jesus came into the world was to
explain ________________ to us.
Take a few moments to discuss your answers to these questions with the
1. What are some misconceptions that people have about
2. What are some truths that you've seen people embrace or
3. How have we attempted to shape God in our own image?
4. What consequences have you suffered by avoiding God's
truth? What truths have set you free?
5. If a defining moment is embracing an uncomfortable
truth, have you had that kind of defining moment?
6. Which truths that Jesus taught are the hardest for you to
accept and why?
7. Which truths do you not want to face in order to avoid
* A defining moment happens when we come face-to-face
with a truth about life and our lives are never the same.
* Often, we shove truth to the side because it's too painful
or inconvenient to acknowledge it.
* For every distortion about God, there is a corresponding
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
1. Are there any areas in your life where you are putting off
facing the truth? It could be a truth you have heard before
but just weren't ready to incorporate. This week identify at
least one truth that fits this description, and complete the
The truth I've been putting off is:
The distortion I've been embracing is:
THINK ABOUT IT
For every distortion of God's truth, there is a corresponding consequence.
Are there any consequences you've already encountered as a
result of putting off the truth? What consequences might lie ahead if
you don't face up to the truth now?
CHANGING YOUR MIND
Replacing a distortion requires that we renew our minds to God's truth.
You can begin by carrying God's Word with you throughout the day.
There's a memory verse for each week. Begin memorizing them now.
Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching,
you are really my disciples.
Then you will know the truth,
and the truth will set you free."