Heaven and Earth in the Gospel of Matthew
(Paperback - Apr 2012)
The theme of heaven and earth is a much-overlooked aspect of the Gospel of Matthew. In this work, rising scholar Jonathan Pennington articulates a fresh perspective on this key interpretive issue, challenging both the scholarly and popular understandings of the meaning of Matthew's phrase, "kingdom of heaven."
Pennington argues that rather than being a reverent way of referring to God as is typically assumed, "heaven" in Matthew is part of a highly developed discourse of heaven and earth language. Matthew's way of using heaven language serves one overriding theological purpose: to highlight the tension that currently exists between heaven and earth or God and humanity, while looking forward to its eschatological resolution. This affordable North American paperback edition was previously published in hardcover by Brill.
- SKU: 9780801037283
- SKU10: 080103728X
- Title: Heaven and Earth in the Gospel of Matthew
- Qty Remaining Online: 128
- Publisher: Baker Academic
- Date Published: Apr 2012
- Pages: 399
- Weight lbs: 1.45
- Dimensions: 8.90" L x 5.90" W x 1.10" H
- Features: Table of Contents, Index, Bibliography
- Category: BIBLICAL STUDIES
- Subject: Biblical Studies - Jesus, the Gospels & Acts