With typical wisdom and lucidity, Erwin W. Lutzer addresses a fundamental question--a question begging for an answer after a frenetic election--"Is God really on America's side?" To answer, the reader is carefully led through seven vital principles of a biblical understanding of judgment.
- God can both bless and curse a nation.
- God judges nations based on the amount of light and opportunity they are given.
- God sometimes uses exceedingly evil nations to judge those that are less evil.
- When God judges a nation, the righteous suffer with the wicked.
- God's judgments take various forms.
- In judgment, God's target is often His people, not just the general population.
- God sometimes reverses intended judgments.
Provocative questions for individual reflection or group discussion complete each chapter of the book. Throughout, Lutzer's insights into how Christians should view government equips them "to think with the Bible in one hand and a newspaper in the other."